[Bf-committers] Re: Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] Re: CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel BKE_node.h blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern ipo.c node.c node_composite.c blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_camera_types.h DNA_node_types.h blender/source/blender/render

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Sat Dec 23 23:34:25 CET 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 5:08 PM, Alfredo de Greef wrote:

> --- GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:
>> Those are the cases in which having something beyond
>> plain blur really
>> matters.
>> The linked image is from a demo page of a
>> real DSLR.
>>
> http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/products/photo/uk/K10D/Image%204.JPG

In these cases I've found using a seperate layer for the background
works great.  Isolating elements in their own layers can solve a lot
of the mentioned "bleeding" problems (which i don't think can really
be avoided otherwise).

>> Or you can use mouse to get the focus depth. ;]
>> Click in any render
>> and look for the printed Z value.

Easy way here:
http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/focalplane.blend

Now i have a suggestion.

Foreground objects isolated in their own layers end up with a black
halo after a blur (from the adjacent pixels).  In order to get a
correct result those black pixels must be changed to the *blurred*
background prior to the foreground element's blur (keeping the same
alpha and Z of course).  This can be done manually but i propose a
"layered DoF" node which automagically blurs elements from background
to foreground based in order of acending ZDepth (or perhaps by layer
order).  Such a node would have a variable number of inputs and
function as a Z combine node as well.  This node would likely be the
last step prior to output.  Assuming there is a way, perhaps the node
could accept "multilayer" input as well.  If this was done, however,
it would likely require a seperate "multilayer combiner" node.  Such
a setup would avoid the "bleeding" edges problem where a foreground
element was is away from the background.