[Bf-committers] Re: Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] Re: CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel BKE_node.h blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern ipo.c node.c node_composite.c blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_camera_types.h DNA_node_types.h blender/source/blender/render

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri Dec 22 22:02:05 CET 2006

Hi,
eeshlo at yahoo.com (2006-12-22 at 1116.36 -0800):
> Where does this original message by GSR come from?
> I don't see it anywhere in the list?

It went to the cvs list, it seems.

> Anyway, of course 9 blades are possible, but I can't
> really see the difference with a disk, unless you have
> very bright and small sharp highlights in the image.

Those are the cases in which having something beyond plain blur really
matters. The linked image is from a demo page of a real DSLR.
http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/products/photo/uk/K10D/Image%204.JPG

In another mail I just sent you can find more links with more
discussions and demo images in which the distortions show the
differences. Cameras are not perfect, and that is what people expect
to believe in the image.

[...]
> And as far as putting the focal distance in the node,
> sure you can do that. But I sure like to see where the
> actual focal point is in the scene.

Or you can use mouse to get the focus depth. ;] Click in any render
and look for the printed Z value. I am not saying it has to be removed
from 3D, just that override in node would be nice (faster workflow,
does not depend in current camera).

[...]
> Also, that picture is exactly one of the worst case
> scenarios as I mentioned in the notes. Objects with
> the direct background visible don't work very well at
> all.

The notes mention blured things nearer than the in focus part, for
which you have to separate in two passes and combine later, so
foreground can become "invisible". If that is what you mean, the
bright spot was far away, and I do not care so much about the front
sphere.

GSR