[Bf-committers] Re: chroot environment files for Linux compile (D.J. Capelis)

Rui Campos rcampos at fusemail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:07:32 CET 2006

Hi D.J. Capelis,

I will setup an ftp account where you can upload the chroot, this way it
can be shared with everyone else that wants to tackle it.

I already have scons changed to compile with FFMPEG statically, having
also support for x264, xvid, aac, mp3. It takes 2 additional Mb. But I
wanted to have it tested with some builds made available at BlenderBuilds,
before providing the patch.
Well, if anyone wants the patches I can share ;) .

I also added static libgettext and libfreetype support to the files along
with other additional static stuff, like openal ....

My idea would be to clean this chroot a bit (dunno if possible for the
next release), specially considering ffmpeg and some other dependencies
that seems to show trouble.

Thanks,

-- Rui --

> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:52:45 -0800
> From: "D.J. Capelis" <djcapelis at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] chroot environment files for Linux
> 	compile
> To: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at projects.blender.org>
>
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 00:36 +0000, Rui Campos wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone provide me a link to the latest chroot files that are used
for the official compilation ?

>> I wanted to try it out for a BlenderBuilds compile.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Rui --
>
> The current chroot used to generate release binaries is currently a
hacked up debian system that's in a pretty messy state.  (At least for
32-bit linux/x86, the other linux chroots are a bit cleaner because of a
slightly lessened need to support a stunning array of incompatible
systems.)  The easiest way to get it is to bother me on IRC (privmsg
DJCapelis and I'll get back to you when I get to the right computer) so
I can tar it up and DCC it to you as it's 2.4GB uncompressed.  (Could
probably be slimmed down considerably, there's a lot of cruft in there
that I could clean out.)

> There's a script in there that does the compilation except for the parts
that don't work (like the fact that FFMPEG (I believe it was FFMPEG?)
doesn't build with scons, which causes me no end of trouble...) and
there's currently some linking issues with different python versions
because the python folks don't bother to enforce an ABI... but other
than that it mostly works.

> Anyone who else who wants to grab the chroot and tackle some of the
outstanding issues in it is welcome to, time has been an issue lately so
it would be good to have this thing spread a bit more broadly as I'm in
and out of contact.  (My blender folder is running at about 1,529 unread
messages these days. :( )