[Bf-committers] Subversion. Re: More on source code management

jonathan ferguson jdpf at edumetrics.org
Tue Dec 12 02:33:58 CET 2006

hi

I really like subversion too. I consider it fairly easy to use---
especially if you come from working with cvs. Subversion is quite
well documented, and there are many gui clients for a variety of
platforms. I also recommend Trac as a good way to see what changed,
and by whom in what revision. With subversion, people can download
tagged <<exported>> branches with ease. The current practice of
offering "cvs working copy snapshots" of the repository for download
will be much more costly with svn, because it stores all changes as a
delta-change-list--- and repositories get quite large. Still, I
really like subversion. Many operations are atomic, and that's a very
nice thing--- it makes things faster for everyone. I'm also a fan of
the time-machine-ness of version control anyway.

<< In my own experience administering svn repositories, the delta-
change-list mechanism makes  removing a Very Bad (TM) revision from
the revision history hard, but not impossible. Removing a commit from
the repository requires replaying every commit ever made to a new
offline repository taken from backups (you did write a hook script on
each commit to dump the repository, right?)--- and then making that
repository live; an out of order replay can cause all kinds of
havoc--- if not done with precision instruments. Many consider this
limitation a serious flaw with subversion. But, imo, disk space is
cheap these days, and for most oss projects, the problem just goes
away in the avalanche of revision histories--- just as is presently
done in cvs. If a commit is buggy, then the developer commits a fix,
and everyone goes against a new HEAD. Sure, a software archeologist
can find that bad commit if they really really want to... but when is
it a problem in practice? Not all that often unless people are mixing
proprietary code into the revision tree. But the days of BSD vs. [the
owners of SysV Unix] are past, and developers have learned that
lesson, right? >>

KDE uses subversion. Anyone here work on KDE who wants to share
subversion experiences?

It seems that people here are interested in subversion--- but what of
the decentralized alternatives, svk, git, bzr, darcs, etc... as GSR
started pointing out? Do any of the decentralized approaches make
sense for the blender project?

anyway

have a nice day.yad
jdpf