[Bf-committers] Image refactor

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Dec 11 14:12:12 CET 2006

Hi,

To have a well integrated multi-layer image in/out (openexr) in
Blender, I have to tackle the Image  handling in Blender. This relates
to several areas, like UV Image window, backdrop image, textures,
composite nodes...

It's also time to cleanup Image usage some, so I'd like to ensure we
can do this:

- Packed file support for images and multilayer files.
- Option to repack images (like after painting).

- Better animated sequence support (so 1 Image block can be used by 2
textures to show different frames).
- Autosave for changed images in sequences on frame advance (like for
painting masks).

- Multilayer: should work in all of Blender, with the optional menus to
pick a layer/pass.
- Support for multilayer sequences (like in compo nodes).

- Support procedural images; like for UV test patterns, or just a black
image. Such images are never saved, but generated again when used.
- Render Result or Composite Viewer are also a special kind of
'procedural images'. Should be easier to make a connection to Image, so
you can have multiple viewers showing images in a UV Image window.
- Easy/quick conversion of procedural to packed or saved files.
Example; a Bake can create own procedural Images, and when you're
satisfied you can save it all in 1 go.

Not sure if I can code it all now, but i can get the API for Images
prepared for it.
Any more suggestions & feedback is welcome. :)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org