[Bf-committers] Re: render passes & workflow

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Fri Dec 8 13:59:37 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
 > Is already possible. The "edge render" is not a pass, but part of
 > the "render layer" options (like halo). Just disable all options
 > but leave "Edge" on.

There is another kind of edge drawing, which cannot be done in post-
processing.  The post-processing type can be affected when objects
of nearly the same color are near each other.

A mesh modifier can reduce a mesh to just include the edges which
are terminal, i.e., those which are non-manifold or are in between
a front-face and a back-face according to the current camera.

The problem with the current modifier stack is that you would then
have to have two copies of the original mesh, and identical mods
applied to both, and then only one mesh having a final "edge" mod,
if you wanted to have an opaque surface as well as the edging.

This could be fixed if we went to a "modifier node" system where
any one derivedmesh could be fed into two or more downstream nodes.
This has been discussed in-channel before.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]