[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Re: render passes & workflow

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Dec 7 19:32:41 CET 2006

Hi,
ton at blender.org (2006-12-07 at 1119.38 +0100):
> A unique automatic ID for every Object is a nice idea, but needs to be
> carefully implemented, so it won't change during the course of a
> project. Imagine you setup a scene first, and then decide to add a
> scene 'set' backdrop, or add/remove objects.
> I can check on creating a hash function that turns the Object name +
> library name into a unique ID though.

This is what DupliMats problem was about. IDs could be a two part
space, half for user and the other half for random. If the user wants
to change something "random" into "user", he is then responsible of
handling any collisions in his project. With a 32 bit integer that
would be 2G for each zone, plenty IMO.

[...]
> Here's what this node can look like:
>
> ID Mask Node:
> - input socket: ID buffer (single value buffer)
> - button options:
>    - ID value (or min/max range?)

Another way is ID base (any valid value allowed by system) and ID
range (default 1), so output will be the mask from base to base +
range - 1, inclusive. This way it works for all cases without hidding
buttons or having to keep the buttons in sync manually for the single
case.

>    - Antialias option
>    - blur level
> - output socket: Alpha mask
> - output socket: Pseudo Random colors (ignoring button options)
>
> How about that?

Nice. :]

GSR