[Bf-committers] render passes & workflow

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Dec 7 01:25:47 CET 2006

On 07/12/2006, at 00:19 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that the basic code work was done, it's time to check on
> usablity of pass rendering.
> (No Trip, not usuability of compositor, that's another project!).

Right now, the object ID pass doesn't seem that useful, they pretty
much just give me a black and white image that it's hard to do
anything useful with, and similar enough to just putting that object
on its own render layer anyway. Having to tweak number buttons and
assign an ID to each object manually is a real chore and it seems a
similar approach to Cinema 4D, where it's mostly used as a workaround
for having no render layer system like we do. Also unlike other apps,
none of our nodes have an option to selectively apply effects to
certain object IDs, and I don't think that really fits with our
compositor either.

Something that I've used before when working on some architectural
rendering stuff (though I'm not sure exactly which app rendered the
images) is an object ID pass that includes every object, with random,
non-antialiased RGB colours. I presume it generated each colour based
on a hash of the object's name or something like that, and in this
particular scene there were so many objects I seriously doubt the IDs
would have been assigned manually. Anyway, it looked a bit like this:
http://mke3.net/blender/etc/obid.png

It was great because I could then go into photoshop and interactively
tweak the appearance of individual objects, just by using simple
masking. Now that we have the nice chroma key nodes and the colour
picker eyedropper, it's extremely easy to do the same thing in
Blender - see this node setup:
http://mke3.net/blender/etc/obid_nodes.png

The packed file is here:
http://mke3.net/blender/etc/obid.blend.zip
- you can see how easy it is to pick other objects to isolate, using
the eyedropper, and it's easy to include additional objects just by
adding a new difference key and adding the mask on top.

Doing the object IDs like this would be better since it'd:
* be much easier to use
* be more flexible for going back and tweaking things without having
to re-render - i.e. currently if I decide later on that I want to
tweak some object that I didn't previously assign an ID to, I have to
assign it and re-render the entire thing again. If every object has
its own random colour from the start, I'm much more free to
experiment or change my mind
* allow people to also do their edits easily in external image
editing or compositing apps of their choice too, not just Blender.

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net