[Bf-committers] More on source code management

jonathan ferguson jdpf at edumetrics.org
Wed Dec 6 21:33:53 CET 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 3:51 PM, GSR wrote:

> Found some comments from a person involved in Xorg migration away from
> CVS for their source code management:
> http://keithp.com/blog/Repository_Formats_Matter.html
> http://keithp.com/blog/Tyrannical_SCM_selection.html
>
> GSR

hi.

There is one very significant drawback with Git for users of non-
POSIX systems (notably MS Windows): Git is POSIX only.

 From what I've learned, in choosing a version control system, the
question really is: "Which system will work the best for your
project?" The answer differs from project to project. Does the
blender project want distributed or centralized repository and
control? What are the user (developer) requirements for revision
control in the blender project? Patch based, or change based?
Platform support? Training and transition costs? A good User
Interface? etc.  Many such questions must all be carefully addressed
prior to a change.

I  have been researching this question quite a bit lately. There are
a growing number of scm systems, and vocal proponents for each. Each
has strengths and weaknesses. After researching for a while, I found
that a good place to start is wikipedia. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

also of  note:

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

In further response to the link you posted, it can be said that all
copy-change-merge scm systems provide "distributed backup" of files
in one way or another.

in any case... just some thoughts.

have a nice day.yad
jdpf