[Bf-committers] cmake Xcode question

jonathan ferguson jdpf at edumetrics.org
Tue Dec 5 06:29:34 CET 2006

hi.

Are you sure that the build system is looking at the 10.4u SDK?
While you will have a Python.h in the 10.4u SDK, you will also have
one in the canonical user location of
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers/Python.h.

I may be stating the obvious, but the 10.4u SDK is primarily used
when you've got a cross compiling situation, and need or want to
build Universal Binaries. Blender does not ship universal binaries
due to bandwidth concerns--- afaik.

As you may recall, on Mac OS X you want to use the 2.3 Python
Framework unless you have a REALLY good reason not to--- see my post
of a month back:
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2006-November/
016168.html

 From my elementary understanding, CMake creates the XCode project
files, yes? If so, I would ask questions of the CMake developers /
users regarding not having the "zero linking" working (aka,
background compiling). Perhaps they're missing something in the XCode
project file they're generating?

Now "attacking the darkness with magic missile," external build
systems when used in Xcode are not privy to things like zero link---
only the XCode build system does that. So, if the XCode file
generated by CMake actually *uses* CMake as the builder, then you
will not get zero link and some other handy bits.

The variables set in XCode may or may not reflect what's going on,
given that CMake produces the XCode project file, and given that
XCode has a host of default values you may need to change--- when
converting an older version of XCode project to a new version of
XCode. Again, an external build system is external, and XCode has no
special knowledge of that system in general.

I hope that helps.

have a nice day.yad
jdpf