[Bf-committers] Quality of translations - is this project worthwhile continueing?

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Dec 4 20:42:37 CET 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Tom M wrote:

> The mistranslations - does it amount to 5/10/20/50% of translated strings?

The complete *mis*translations, in this case, amounted to about 10%.

> Ie are the number of mistranslations small enough that we can identify
> which strings will be commonly mistranslated by those not familiar
> with 3D and make a list to not translate or that we can give clear
> definitions?

That list would contain probably around 50% of all strings, as most of them
are very conscise and depend on the context.

> Also are the words that are mistranslated - are they items that had a tool
> tip?

No, most of them were menu items and thus didn't have tooltips. However, as
I pointed out, it's not only *mis*translations that's the problem. It's also
a style problem. Many translations just sound odd, some translators lack
common sense or experience with other software. Best example: EVERY
application under the sun has "Save as.." as "Speichern unter.." in German,
but the translator used "Speichern als..", which is the direct translation
of "Save as..". If we want this, we can straight use Babelfish instead.