[Bf-committers] OpenGL fast option (interpolation benchmark)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Aug 14 11:54:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

An OpenGL "Profile" can be a set of user settings to tweak use of
OpenGL based on the specific features your 3d card supports, or
features you prefer support for.
It is a recommended method for moving on to higher OpenGL version
features (like shaders) but can also be used for tweaking missing
functionality in drivers or 3d cards.

It does mean that we'll have to wrap code internally for all suspicious
commands. This was already done for Linux (DRI has no glPointSize) and
for Mac (intel gfx has different glFlush() behaviour). It's also time
to define which of the opengl 1.1 feature set we'll stick to, and what
will be taboo (3d cards tend to only support limited features
accellerated anyway).

On the positive side, this can enable developers to make a GPU based
compositing library for example. :)

-Ton-