[Bf-committers] Material system - function to get the value of a material?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Aug 13 15:09:59 CEST 2006

Hi,

After discussion topic on IRC, this conclusion came out of it:

It is safer and more future proof if Modifiers don't link to a
Material. Materials are a candidate to further evolve a lot (node
shading, support for other renders). Have this integrated directly in
modifiers is making things to complex, especially because no shading is
needed for modifiers, only texture. And not to mention the Material
then still can be used for rendering, giving potential conflicts when
same Material is used in a Modifier.

Better is to only use a Texture in a Modifier, and use similar code as
used for the Texture node in Compositor now. Mappings for this can be
provided locally in the modifier then.

-Ton-