[Bf-committers] Low-level shaders interface question

Branan Riley branan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:08:56 CEST 2006

Right now, they're really "lighting equation nodes" seperate from the
material nodes. You know where you can pick a diffuse and specular
lighting model? They'll go there, so you can either use blender's
built-in equations, or make your own.

I also plan on adding new nodes to the material tree, so you can make
just a "diffuse lighting node" or a "specular lighting node", without
the overhead of a complete material node.

So, I can make two seperate trees, one for diffuse and one for
specular, or I can make a single "lighting equation tree" with both
diffuse and specular outputs. A single one makes GLSL integration
easier, and two seperate trees allows the custom lighting equations to
be plugged in the new nodes for Material trees.

For a rough outline of what I'm doing, check out this WIKI article:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/NodeShaders I'm
changing things faster than I update the article, but it's still
mostly accurate as to the general concept.

Hope I didn't make things more confusing...

Branan