[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel BKE_brush.h blender/source/blender/blenkernel/bad_level_call_stubs stubs.c blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern brush.c texture.c blender/source/blender/blenloader/intern readfile.c writefile.c blender/source/blender/imbuf IMB_imbuf.h blender/source/blender/imbuf/intern ...

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Aug 9 20:50:27 CEST 2006

Hey,

bjornmose wrote:
> nice to see you're using the hammer where i was scratching with finger
> nails.
> Well, i'm sure you know what you're doing, but i'd like to cite pink
> floyd :'be carefull with the axe eugene'
>
> Humm about 'em texture brushes ...it's like opening pandoras box .. i
> know that you know :)

Hehe :)

> Now with the noodles available users will yell for brushes coming out of
> the noodle factory.
> Not that it is a bad idea ... but how to communicate that on the UI ?
> Further more ( i had that requests with clone brush) scale, rotate!,
> offset,  pre_alpha + post _alpha blending ... even make it implicitely
> 3d aware .. breathe ...breathe deep ... deeper ... shut up.
> And .. is it worth pulling functionality that 'should' be available via
> verse from gimp 'soon' ?
> Or are we going to replace gimp'n fellows in the image edit window?
> ... i know you (we) can .. but i feel this is a bit loosing blenders
> focus <------ out of the stomach statement!

Yup, you make a good point there. But both features were added mostly
'for completeness'. Painting float images should just work, because
they can be used everywhere else in Blender. And the texture brushes
were added because sculpt mode has a similar feature, so it would be
nice to have it working unified for all paint/sculpt modes.

I don't intend to duplicate gimp functionality, but would rather like to see
what we can add to the functionality in gimp and other image editors.
With procedural textures, texture synthesis and noodles, there's a lot of
possibilities for features that either don't fit into these 2d image editors,
or that are just not available in other (open source) apps.

I don't have plans to add new functionality to the 2d image editor for now,
except maybe undo, but rather work on other paint modes, getting the
brush functionality to work there, etc.

Matt Ebb wrote:
>>> Now with the noodles available users will yell for brushes coming out
>>> of the noodle factory.
>>> Not that it is a bad idea ... but how to communicate that on the UI ?
>>
>> That would be really cool, actually, it would allow layering etc. Well
>> the composite nodes just output an image block, like the viewer node or
>> render result, though these are disabled for use as textures for the
>> potential recursive weirdness. Though one could conceivably write a
>> 'texture output' node that does the same thing, but just checks and
>> disables any 'dynamic' input nodes like a renderlayer output. Then it
>> would just be a matter of choosing that image block for the texture, I
>> suppose.

There lots of possibilities here, like having a brush node with speed,
pressure, tilt, direction outputs, or using time ipo's, or pydrivers/pynodes.
I'm not sure that could all work realtime, but it would be neat :).

Brecht.