[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 25 15:41:36 CEST 2006

Scott Johnson wrote:
> That seems reasonable to me.  Are there specific shaders people would
> like to see?  I was thinking perhaps a shader for environmental effects
> (i.e. wind erosion, metal scrapes, dirt, snow, etc...), along with a
> generator to generate random "dirty" effects, as well as possibly a
> shader for reflections off of water/liquid surfaces.  I want to get
> familiar with the GLSL, so implementing shaders such as these in Blender
> would be ideal for what I want to do.  Are there others that are in dire
> need?

I guess the one thing that should be pointed out is
that the regular blender interface is pretty much
OpenGl 1.2 compatible and does not use GLSL. As such,
it is not likely that a project that wants to introduce
GLSL to the user interface would be successful. The game
engine, I believe, can use shaders (I think it uses
glew, so it queries what the graphics card can
handle on start up).

Implementing the shaders for the blender renderer, of
course, would not require any changes to OpenGL
compatibility.

Regards,
Chris