[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Apr 24 06:40:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

Scott Johnson wrote:
> As I see it now, it would more than likely use raytracing for still
> images and movies, while using OpenGL 2.0's GLSL for game effects.  I am
> extremely excited about this project, and wanted to see what others on
> this list thought about the possibility of developing this for a SoC
> project.

Does this really need raytracing? It is quite an advanced shader, and
certainly the derivations and numerical experiments take ray reflections
at multiple layers into account, but the final formula seems to only need
the normal, incident angle, etc, things that are available in rasterization.

I  think this would be neat to have in Blender. But although the shader is
quite complicated, I don't think implementing it would take more than a
week. It mainly involves directly using the formulas in the paper, and
figuring out how exactly to do the specialized rgb <-> spectral conversion.
If I understood the paper correctly, that is.

Doing a realtime implementation for the game engine would add some
extra time needed also, but would all this really need 3 months of work?

> If you would like to see the full article, please see:
>
> **
> 	Sun, Yinlong.  *Rendering biological iridescences with RGB-based
> renderers*.
> ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) archive
> <http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=J778&type=periodical&coll=Portal&dl=ACM&CFID=70020832&CFTOKEN=50962267>
> Volume 25 ,  Issue 1  (January 2006) table of contents
> <http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1122501&type=issue&coll=Portal&dl=ACM&CFID=70020832&CFTOKEN=50962267>
> Pages: 100 - 129
> Year of Publication: 2006
> ISSN:0730-0301