[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Scott Johnson scottj at cs.und.edu
Mon Apr 24 04:10:33 CEST 2006

Hello everyone.

I wanted to get some opinions on a project for SoC that I have been
pondering.  In the latest (January, 2006) issue of ACM Transactions on
Graphics, there was a paper on representing iridescent shaders common in
Biology using RGB values.  According to Yinlong Sun, beautifully vivid
colors are common in Biology and natural sciences due to the way light
interacts with itself as it reflects off of multiple-layered surfaces.
"Current RGB-based graphics renderers are not sufficient to simulate
such phenomena. This is because biological iridescences are caused by
interference or diffraction, which requires wavelength information to
describe" [Sun, 2006].

He has developed a method of representing iridescent shaders (caused by
interference) using RGB information through a complicated algorithm.
Sun implemented this in Maya using Renderman shaders.  The ability to
represent biological iridescences is necessary for scientific research
in Biology and life sciences.  In addition, it would add a new amount of
realism to movies and games developed with these effects.  I would like
to propose a project for the Summer of Code which implements this
algorithm into Blender.  I think that this new development in research
in the area of Computer Graphics would be well suited to be incorporated
into Blender.

As I see it now, it would more than likely use raytracing for still
images and movies, while using OpenGL 2.0's GLSL for game effects.  I am
extremely excited about this project, and wanted to see what others on
this list thought about the possibility of developing this for a SoC
project.

If you would like to see the full article, please see:

**
	Sun, Yinlong.  *Rendering biological iridescences with RGB-based
renderers*.
ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) archive
<http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=J778&type=periodical&coll=Portal&dl=ACM&CFID=70020832&CFTOKEN=50962267>
Volume 25 ,  Issue 1  (January 2006) table of contents
<http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1122501&type=issue&coll=Portal&dl=ACM&CFID=70020832&CFTOKEN=50962267>
Pages: 100 - 129
Year of Publication: 2006
ISSN:0730-0301