[Bf-committers] Re: SOC Project Ideas?

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 02:11:37 CEST 2006

Hi Everyone,

Yet another application of calibrated cameras is in the area of
digitizing models using at least two viewpoints to triangulate
features.  I used that technique to digitize some bones:
    http://www.warpax.com/temp/metacarpus-structures.png  (100% Blender :-)

My scripts are online:
    http://blix.sourceforge.net/
Here's a screenshot showing the progress of digitizing a canine rib:
    http://www.warpax.com/temp/screenshot02.jpg

Naturally I'm rushed off my feet trying to finish writing my PhD thesis,
so the scripts aren't documented (stupid, stupid, stupid, I know...),
but I thought I should point out that the Tsai algorithm has already
been used to calibrate the Blender camera, using Python scripts from
within Blender itself.

Incorporating image feature tracking into Blender might be a good
project.  As people have pointed out, once you have the tracked
features, there are dozens of different camera calibration techniques
you can try.  Feature tracking and calibration can be treated very much
as separate tasks, even allowing for the possibility of feedback from
one to aid the other.

Jonathan.