[Bf-committers] Re: SoC proposal idea (SGen)

Alfredo de Greef eeshlo at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 04:55:37 CEST 2006

Мазовка
Дмитрий
wrote:
> I'm planning to apply into SoC project. And have own
> proposal idea. I consider it as very useful, from my
> ~3 year Blender experience. And hope to receive
> confirmation if it has chances to be accepted.
>
> So it is Sky Generator (SG) - World object
extension.

Another dent in my todo list! I'm not surprised
anymore...
(in general, from what I read sofar, SoC has sort of a
'high alert' level for me..., errr, never mind... :/ )
Anyway, considering the way you describe it, not a
dent I'm unhappy with ;)
A few years back, I tried to do something similar,
extending the sunsky plugin with clouds.
I never was pleased with the results however, so I
sort of abandonded it. But I kept getting requests for
updating the sunsky plugin, so I thought I might as
well try to revive it and code it directly in Blender.
I haven't yet started to code anything for Blender
though, so there is no loss really.
Your description and your skills certainly sounds like
you would have a far greater chance of achiving your
goal.

Here is an old testrender, sort of my most successful
attempt (from my own program, not Blender):

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1456/sunskyclouds1zk.jpg

That was about as good as I could get it however, when
the sun is higher up in the sky, the clouds don't
really look as good. And they don't look all that good
in this one to begin with.
It's only single scattering, also just a precalculated
noise texture used as 2.5D heightfield. Probably a
familiar method by now to those that visit gamedev.net
;)
But as I said, never really quite knowing what I'm
doing, randomly tweaking things, I don't get very far.

So, you cetainly have my blessing!

I'd like to see this as a SoC project in any case.
Good luck with your efforts in advance!
:)