[Bf-committers] SoC proposal idea (SGen)

Мазовка Дмитрий mazovka at bk.ru
Fri Apr 21 23:12:39 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm planning to apply into SoC project. And have own proposal idea. I consider it as very useful, from my ~3 year Blender experience. And hope to receive confirmation if it has chances to be accepted.

So it is Sky Generator (SG) - World object extension.

1) First of all it is accurate physic-based simulation of skylight, sunlight and aerial perspective effects. With several tuning parameters it is intended to become a really good Blender's feature. Secondly it is clouds. Additionally to available noise textures clouds based on cellular automata (CA) will be developed. All this can be stored as an environment map.
2) Creation of scene objects helping to construct lightning environment based on generated sky properties. It can be several light sources, possibly mesh objects. For example light shafts can be generated automatically basing on volumetric clouds (CA).
3) In perspective (and some points can be achieved in frames of the project) there is sky animation. Sun walking, clouds.

I'm 3rd year student of Byelorussian State University, Faculty of Applied Mathematics and Informatics. I have some experience of sky and CA implementation in my own projects. Also I have ~6 year C++ experience and 1.5 years outsource working in the Integra company (www.integra.jp) that specialized on 3d graphics.

I see the idea as very perspective and feasible. Can it be accepted as my SoC proposal?

Best regards,
Mazovka Dmitriy