[Bf-committers] Re: New feature: Console output space type(requestfor input).

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Apr 20 19:03:31 CEST 2006

Hi,
jgilbert at tigr.ORG (2006-04-20 at 1229.43 -0400):
> Well the real benefit of this is not having to switch to the other
> window (or to the terminal) to see stdout, (which is a huge benefit to
> the end-user), not just so you don't have 2 windows open on a windows
> box. There's actually a lot of benefits to having stdout routed to a
> screenarea than just aesthetics. For mac/linux users they can see script
> errors and output inside blender rather than figuring out they need to
> run blender from the commandline to see stdout.
>
> Doing a better reading of the original mail: """I am not sure I can
> enable the text to go to both at this stage""". :p If it can't be done
> than yea, I think a commandline switch is an acceptable option. For
> windows development this wouldn't matter at - just don't bring up that
> window :). For linux/mac it would be nice to have stdout routed to the
> terminal. Another way to do it Jacque would be to set up a preprocessor
> macro like TERMINAL_STDOUT that can be enabled in debugging builds. Just
> an idea :)

Losing simple select and paste in X11 for me is a huge step backwards,
specially if the app has gone nuts and then I can not see what it
said. Also writing to console seems to be faster than to OpenGL text
here, which is another reason I avoid Blender "text editors". Never
mind that I can keep all area for Blender and only look at the console
with a keycombo and back to work, no space dedicated. So keep it in
some way, please, and not compile time.

GSR