[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Apr 19 03:53:52 CEST 2006

On 19/04/2006, at 00:14 AM, Chris Want wrote:

> Yeah, I'm short on ideas too. If you, or any of the other
> orangers, can think of something you really felt you
> needed during ED, let me know.

 From memory at least for myself (most likely for some of the others,
though I'm hesitant to speak for them):

* Curves stuff:
	- FIX THE 3D TWISTING BUG! PLEASE!
	- More editing tools such as inserting a CV at a chosen place on a
segment, while keeping the shape identical, and vice versa.
	- Make the various bevel and taper features into modifiers for
better control
	- More modifiers for curves (i.e. the mesh ones like mirror, but
also things like smoothing etc)
	- Some kind of Curve->Mesh modifier which would give a derivedmesh
output (i.e. the result of bevels/tapers) in order to use further
mesh modifiers on, like subsurf or whatever.

* General usability analysis and cleanup of NLA. It's still very
frustrating to use, and could do with more thought over relationships
between other animation editor windows.

* Stride/path/etc character animation. The current stride system
still leaves a lot to be desired. It's easy to get foot slipping on
anything but a straight line and it's very very difficult to edit or
change timing afterwards (yes the speed Ipo is pure evil). Having
reliable stride action baking can help as a bandaid, but better would
be a more advanced stride animation system, where you could just key
an object or base bone in space, then the stride actions would be
filled in automatically between those keys. CAT seems to have an
interesting looking system, but I've never tried it.

* Ipo Bag - Using Actions as a generic container for any type of
ipos, from different objects.

* Fix crazy space! Editing meshes and other object types deformed by
any combination of armatures, lattices, curves, whatever should be
rock solid.

* Better hair styling controls. It currently takes at least 15 or 20
guide curves to get a passable hair cut. Trying to edit the guide
curves is horrible, having to jump in and out of edit mode all the
time, adjusting lengths, etc.

* Edit mode/manipulators for Lamps and Cameras. Twiddling buttons in
a panel totally sucks for things that could be done easily and
interactively in 3D such as spotlight size, shadow buffer clipping, etc.

* Improved shadow buffer features
	- Deep shadow maps? I've heard of this before as something good, but
don't really know what it is :)
	- Some sort of auto sensing or adaptive-ness to ease the total
tedium of having to adjust buffer clipping distances on all
spotlights, just to get acceptable results
	- Ability for transparent objects to affect shadow buffers (right
now, a shadow buffer lamp shining on wispy transparent hair gives a
thick black totally opaque shadow. yuck)

* Volumetric rendering?

* Rendering to a blender window such as the image window, better
storage and comparison of past renders (J key etc.)

* File/path management
	- improving handling of image sequences eg. in textures or comp
nodes (the confusing sfra buttons etc always get me, it should just
use the sequence that was selected in the file selector)
	- ability to edit referenced paths of library linked data, ability
to convert between absolute and relative, etc.

Well I'm sure there's more, but I have to go out now :)

Matt