[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Tue Apr 18 21:16:18 CEST 2006

At 12:43 PM 4/18/06, you wrote:
>I can add this to the list, but one concern that I have though,
>is that this was listed on our projects opening page already as
>an advanced coding project. Would it be possible for a student
>coder who might not be too familiar with the blender codebase
>to do this over the span of two months? (If the answer is yes,
>would you be interested in mentoring if an application is
>successful?)

The biggest hurdle is coming up with an intermediate language spec.

The spec work is good for a student (if you can get them to do it) and will
be good for interaction with the Sunday developers' meetings.  You might
mention that in the write up so we don't entice students who loath this
sort of thing.

AFAICT, You can then just grep on all the Yafray hooks and write your own
output hooks for the spec'ed language. Am I missing something?

Once that is done you need a reference plugin (which is really just text
parsing)  and a UI update (box is already there, just need to add the names
of available plugins to it).

The good news is once the spec is up, and the work started, it can be built
up somewhat incrementally like the Python API.  I figured this will happen
anyway, since people will find renderers that have features that need
access to data not included in the original spec.

Yes, I would mentor such a project. (You're all just looking for a way to
lure me back, aren't you?)

Robert Wenzlaff