[Bf-committers] GSOC Projects

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Tue Apr 18 16:25:05 CEST 2006

Reply to renderfarm and texture baking inline,

Chris Want wrote:
>>   1. Render farm. - antont used an IRC bot to manage the rendering for
>>      orange.
>>      Would be good to make a renderfarm that communicated over IRC, and
>>      used python to pack, make local, compress the blend for renderfarm
>>      uploading.
>>      This isnt that hard to do realy, so Id expect whoever worked on it
>>      to get this one to a realy useable state.
>>      - A renderfarm for all new blender installs would be a lot of bang
>>      for buck.
>
> I guess the question I would have is: why don't we just use antont's
> renderfarm code?
Because AFAIK antonts IRC bot was more or a render manager.
an online renderfarm needs to handle file transfers, blender -> slave ->
(image) -> blender/file system.
Orange was also a controled environment. this needs to work for every
man and his dog.
- So it would have to manage unlinking libraries packing all data, gzip
the blend, uplaod it etc. Also have some kind of time out function.

It would also idealy have some weighting. as to bandwidth/cpu speed of
nodes, somthing Im guessing wasnt an issue for antonts.

In 1 way its not that big a deal, but to get it working well, it could
be a bit tricky.

>>   2. BVH Intergration. - Take what we have (imports motion to empties)
>>      and use it to create armature actions.
>>      Also add features to blender for editing and cleaning up BVH's,
>>      and make it useable for similar cases as MotionBuilder.
>>      (Add IPO curve fitting, so bvh ipo's can have smooth curves made
>>      from the BVH ,KeyFrame each frame) -c or python
>
> Added.
>
>>   1. Render->uv baking.
>>      So pixels from a render can be backed into a UV texture.
>>      This feature is useful for game/realtime content, would have
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't the node stuff capable of this?

Basicaly you want to be able to get AO/SHadowmaps back into a meshes
Image, using the UV coords. Alredy possible with vertex colours but
needed for rendered shading.
http://cgkit.sourceforge.net/tutorials/baking/baking.html