[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 18 16:14:55 CEST 2006

Toni Alatalo wrote:
> in the soc student job i did for the python foundation last year, that
> particular proposal by scientific python / ipython folks mandated to just
> link to that prewritten proposal in the application - not copypaste or
> otherwise dupe it in the application, but refer to it. so in the application
> students were just to present how/why they could do the job. that was
> certainly an exceptional case, having such a prepared proposal by the mentor,
> but it worked well. perhaps if there is some specific need BF wants from SoC
> this year, we could use technique for some of the jobs too.

I don't think I like the python approach to the proposals.
Too rigid, plus I think the ability to write a proper proposal
is a good skill for a student to have.

> /me feels empty-headed.
>
> i guess i need some time to come up with something.

Yeah, I'm short on ideas too. If you, or any of the other
orangers, can think of something you really felt you
needed during ED, let me know.

> P.S. i do think py-written tools could be accepted, if someone comes with an
> idea that suits that tech better than c, is large enough for full summer's
> job, and either uses mature parts of the api so it can work well or includes
> api improvements as a part of the job (when also c skills are a must). i
> don't know what such a thing could be, but want the world to be able to
> outsmart me in that (instead of the possibility being categorically
> excluded). and if you do decide to allow such submissions, and someone
> manages to make a winning proposal, i am quite willing to mentor :)

Yep, we will be open to python projects too (I've modified
my page to reflect this) . I would feel more comfortable if
the applicant was well versed in C also, in case API changes
are needed. Also knowing C is an important life skill.

Chris