[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Tue Apr 18 13:03:43 CEST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 23:51, Chris Want wrote:
> only suggestions. On this page I will add some
> text that should scare off people that want
> to just copy/paste.

in the soc student job i did for the python foundation last year, that
particular proposal by scientific python / ipython folks mandated to just
link to that prewritten proposal in the application - not copypaste or
otherwise dupe it in the application, but refer to it. so in the application
students were just to present how/why they could do the job. that was
certainly an exceptional case, having such a prepared proposal by the mentor,
but it worked well. perhaps if there is some specific need BF wants from SoC
this year, we could use technique for some of the jobs too.

but i do agree that most interesting ideas may just come from out there
somewhere, am looking forward to to hearing them then. and also that some
ideas can be just listed, leaving the design/impl plans for the applicants.

> So ... any suggestions as to what might be
> good student projects for the summer?

/me feels empty-headed.

i guess i need some time to come up with something.

> Chris

~Toni

P.S. i do think py-written tools could be accepted, if someone comes with an
idea that suits that tech better than c, is large enough for full summer's
job, and either uses mature parts of the api so it can work well or includes
api improvements as a part of the job (when also c skills are a must). i
don't know what such a thing could be, but want the world to be able to
outsmart me in that (instead of the possibility being categorically
excluded). and if you do decide to allow such submissions, and someone
manages to make a winning proposal, i am quite willing to mentor :)