[Bf-committers] Blender doc intergration proposal

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Apr 16 15:05:25 CEST 2006

Stephen Swaney wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:04:24AM +1000, Campbell Barton wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> For a while is bothered me that tooltips dont realy explain enough
>> (because there only single line to work with)
>>

> The purpose of tooltips is NOT to explain something but to simply act
> as a reminder for what a button or cryptic icon does.
Ill have to defend myself here, This WAS when I first started using
Blender :)

The reason I initially wanted this kind of info in a tooltip was that
the info often isnt available anywhere else.

In some cases Blender's tooltips Do explain what the buttons to- Taker
render "XPARTS" - it tells the user how xparts effects panorama.
Or look at most of the Fluid sim buttons, some have to explain what they
do..

...if "The purpose of tooltips is NOT to explain something"
   - then is this wrong? (take a look at  the fluidsim tips, some a
really long) and helpfull.

The problem is that there is no quickly available info that can be
accessed from a button. - so tooltips are being (ab)used to have some of
that info there.
Good docs are a part way solution, but the user still has to thumb
through those docs.

F1 issue wont work, so RMB->Help Menu OR Help button then click on the
button.. either way its not a blocker.

- I was thinking that each button have a weblink (without the
"http://www.blender.org/docs" or whatever root path)
And that link has NO info, Rather a blank wiki that anyone can populate.

We can see how many buttons get documented just with the testing builds..

IFDEFS can be used so that if the docs arnt ready for release, the
feature is not compiled in. (or we could release and have users fill in
the blanks)

As for existing docs, are there any existing docs for blender that are
current?- the manual I saw last was for 2.37 - some of the best docs
seem to be in the release logs.. which isnt a good place for users to
find info.

We have to accept that no 1 person is going to magically do all blender
docs, so why not hand it to the community.

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street
Geelong West, Victoria 3218 Australia