[Bf-committers] New feature: Console output space type (request for input).

Jacques Beaurain jacques.beaurain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:55:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

On 4/15/06, Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:

> As preposterous as it may sound, some people actually make use of the
> fact that Blender writes to the standard out stream.
>
> You will need to allow for that situation.

I figured that would be the case. What about a command line flag that
enables/disables the Console Output window in blender (I am not sure I
can enable the text to go to both at this stage).

On 4/16/06, lguillaume <lecocqguillaume at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, there is some talk about the console on windows, look at
> http://blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7958&highlight=console
> the cool thing, if possible, is to disable the console dos on windows, so
> Blender open in only one window.

The notes below just concerns Windows.

With my implementation, this is currently the case. I did not see this
thread, thanks. I am currently using the _WINDOWS define and
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS link flag to totally get rid of the Console on
windows as described there. On Linux and other OSs you do not see the
console if you dont launch an app from a console so it is not a
problem there. The benefit that you get there is that you don't have
two windows in your task bar without having to resort to the measures
in that thread. Now, with the command line option I mention above, I
can use the AllocConsole API call to force a console. The only problem
with this is that it will open another console if you are already in a
console (IMO pretty silly but what can you do?). Another option is to
link and compile in console mode which will allways show a console
even if all the output goes to the Window inside blender and then use
the techniques in the thread to hide it if undesirable. Which would be
better? I will post this in the forum thread too to solicite some
feedback there.

Cheers,
Jacques