[Bf-committers] Google SOC 2006

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sun Apr 16 05:30:48 CEST 2006

Tom M wrote:
>>I think it would be better not to give project
>>ideas at all.
>

> I disagree - even those familiar with Blender probably don't have much
> knowledge of our full feature set, nor what stuff people are already
> committed to working on, thus it is quite possible the proposal would
> be for existing functionality or would overlap what someone is
> planning to work on.

As somebody who had to go through about 150 proposals, mostly
cut and paste from the suggested projects page, I still suggest
not having such a page this year. Many other .org's felt the
same way.

The rest of your post seems like a lot of effort to spoonfeed
stuff that the students should have the aptitude to find out
themselves. Considering the number of applicants, I think it's
better to raise the bar of entry higher than this. If you give
links to code, papers, etc., they will just cut and paste it
into proposals, and we will not be able to tell if these people
have any abilities to research this stuff themselves. Students,
when accepted, will have access to mentors that will point them
to the right places in the blender code when they need it.

Chris