[Bf-committers] Google SOC 2006

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sat Apr 15 16:58:50 CEST 2006

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> - Only list projects of which we know in advance we can find mentor(s)
> for. Or better said; invite all current developers and 'owners' of code
> who are interested to become mentor to submit ideas.

I think it would be better not to give project
ideas at all. On the SOC admin list it was discussed
that the proposals that were based on ideas from a
list were usually not nearly as interesting
as the ideas that students came up with themselves.
Many organizations at the time said that they
wouldn't be providing project ideas next time.
Being able to come up with a decent project idea
shows that the student uses the software and is
already contemplating ways to make it better.
It would also cut down on the application that
say "I never used Blender before, but I want to
work on (insert project idea here)".

> - Advertise more among students in our own user/developer community to
> submit projects. Students who are already active here are eligble too.
> Also, developers who received a grant last year can submit again.

Yep (but I would hope to get fresh blood too).

> - Organize a more strict review of submitted projects in advance, this
> based on either past experience or proven competence in a certain
> development area.

Definitely. This is basically a job for the summer, so why
not have an interview, and other checks.

> Looking back at last year's SOC, it was quite evident that it's
> difficult for people to work focused on a coding project at home for a
> longer period. Especially when compared with the productivity of
> putting people together.

That is not allowed according to Google's rules. One
student, one project -- no working together.

> So; ideas for how to improve the efficiency of such an online project
> is welcome too.

I think weekly reports from students would be desirable, and
as D.J. mentioned, they should be willing to spend a certain
amount of time in #blendercoders to integrate more with the
current developer base (even if it's only for a weekly meeting).

Chris