[Bf-committers] Google SOC 2006

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 15 12:37:13 CEST 2006

Hi,

Yep, official submission has been done! For the time being I've
proposed myself to Google as 'administrator', but hopefully we can find
a volunteer again to help out as well.

I can also help with setting up the public list of projects students
can apply for. This is also a good moment for a review of last year's
SOC, and some recommendations for how to do things better now.

My personal recommendations would be;

- Only list projects of which we know in advance we can find mentor(s)
for. Or better said; invite all current developers and 'owners' of code
who are interested to become mentor to submit ideas.
- Advertise more among students in our own user/developer community to
submit projects. Students who are already active here are eligble too.
Also, developers who received a grant last year can submit again.
- Organize a more strict review of submitted projects in advance, this
based on either past experience or proven competence in a certain
development area.

Looking back at last year's SOC, it was quite evident that it's
difficult for people to work focused on a coding project at home for a
longer period. Especially when compared with the productivity of
putting people together.

So; ideas for how to improve the efficiency of such an online project
is welcome too.

-Ton-