[Bf-committers] Blender doc intergration proposal

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Mon Apr 10 00:04:24 CEST 2006

Hey all,

For a while is bothered me that tooltips dont realy explain enough
(because there only single line to work with)

Anyhow, possibly a better solution is to have a documentation system
built into Blender,
It could work by the user holding F1 and clicking a button. - This would
open up a webpage with documentation on that function.

Having docs that are quickly accessed are important because it gives
users fast access to docs that they might otherwise not know where to
look for. or waist time searching about for documentation on a button
that may not even be written yet.

This could be done in a way that makes docs readable - each button group
could be 1 page, with an introduction. each windows header would be 1
page also. with anchors for each button.
And we could start by taking some existing documentation and modifying
it, and also document things that are not likely to change on the
Tool/UI refactor.

On Implimentation, each button would have a  URL relative URL to
"http://mediawiki.blender.org" in its tooltip.
The "Render" tooltip might be "Start The
Rendering|/index.php/blendocs/scene_buttons/render#render_button"

Its no big deal to modify the tooltip function not to render anything
after '|' (can be any char realy) and make a modifier key launch a web
browser when accessing the button/slider/text input etc.
This also wont break with buttons that dont have URL's, they just wont
open a help page-

it will be easy to add documentation to python scripts too because they
just need the URL in there tooltip too.

Elubie suggested but we could have a downloadable version so people
could use locally instead of http://mediawiki.blender.org
The userprefs could have an entry for docroot so the right page opens up.

If for whatever reason it dosnt work as well as expected, and we dont
want to include in a release, we can just disable the browser loading
functionality for that release. (while still writing more docs)

What do ya think? - worth writing a patch?

- Cam