[Bf-committers] Naming of settings in editbuttons for text objects.

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Apr 7 20:02:44 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Geoffrey Bantle wrote:

> Something that I noticed,  in the editbuttons for text
> objects the buttons 'spacing' and 'linedist' are
> really mislabeled IMO. The 'proper' names for these
> settings (names that are almost as old as typography
> itself) are 'tracking' for spacing and 'leading' for
> 'linedist'.

Yes, I agree. I already renamed them in DTPBlender. Feel free to go ahead
(but be sure to take care of the docs, books etc. to be updated as well ;-)

> Also there seems to be a total lack of support for
> 'kerning', or adjusting the spacing between individual
> letters. Along the same lines you should be able to
> adjust the tracking/leading in a way that it only
> affects certain areas of the text. For instance its
> not unusual in typesetting that you would want to
> adjust the tracking of some words one way, and the
> tracking of other words a different way. The same goes
> for adjusting the leading between lines.
>
> There might be some technical reasons why this would
> be difficult though. Intrr, do you happen to have
> anything from DTP blender that might support this?

Both the bf-blender and DTPBlender text object always supported adjusting
kerning. Please read the documentation ;-) (hint: alt-left/right).

About individual distances between lines: That would not be hard to add, no.
DTPBlender already supports "half-lines", for example, for seperating
paragraphs. If you want to code it, you have my full assistance should
problems appear :)

Adjusting the tracking for individual parts of text differently... hrmmm...
isn't that really overkill? In case of emergency, you can always just split
into seperate text objects with seperate settings...