[Bf-committers] Cloth Modifier Patch Available

Mats Holmberg mats.holmberg at elisanet.fi
Fri Apr 7 17:30:13 CEST 2006

zaz at visi.com wrote:

>Thanks.
>
>We have found a problem when using a cloth or collision object
>that has only one face.  Doing so will normally result in a crash.  If
>you were testing with objects like that, try subdividing once or more on
>your objects and see if that helps the situations.
>
>Assuming the crashes are 64 bit related, can you send me some stack traces
>from gdb ?

I might've made assumptions because testing the modifier now won't make
it crash. Probably I tried a simple one faced plane, which, as you said,
could result in a crash. I'll run blender through gdb every now and then
though, and will send you the (64-bit) info when relevant.

>I'm glad you thought it was fairly simple from a users point of view.
>Genscher and I have been concerned about end users reactions to the
>megalithic cloth modifier panel.  We have some ideas on how we might
>simplify it, but have been working more on finishing the determination
>of what parameters are really necessary to expose to the end user than
>how that happens exactly and where in the blender UI.

I'm not too afraid about the large panel. The obvious problem of course
is when a user like me, who likes to have the button panels aligned
horizontally, tries to view the modifiers options. But if I have a
modifier stack with a little more than one modifier, that's still a
problem =) Naturally, you should only expose fetures that really have a
real, noticable effect on the simulation itself. Maybe some presets
could be introduced here too.

With 'fairly simple' I meant that as it is, it works at first try - I
only had to choose if I wanted collision or not, and not bother about
the rest (I still got a table cloth falling over a table nicely). I
haven't studied what all variables do and why, I think my physics skills
are inadequate for that atm too. But the majority of blender users are
certainly hardened already, and not afraid of buttons! I'm more worried
about UI issues when the time comes to figure out how to put trousers on
my character. If we can figure out a nice workflow for those kinds of
things, I think there's the timesaver.

>Since LetterRip says you're the UI man

This was news to me ;) Maybe there's been a mixup (?).

Cheers,
Mats