[Bf-committers] Cloth Modifier Patch Available

zaz at visi.com zaz at visi.com
Fri Apr 7 16:41:04 CEST 2006

Mats Holmberg wrote:
> zaz at visi.com wrote:
>
>> Genscher and I have made available our first public release
>> of the cloth modifier patch. -snip-
>>
> Thanks for that. I got a good first impression - from a users point of
> view the implementation seems fairly simple, and usable. I got some
> cloth working at first try without reading the documents. It compiled
> fine, but crashes like mad on linux amd64. Works better in my 32bit
> chroot environement. This I expected =) Will become a really appreciated
> feature. Nice work!

Thanks.

We have found a problem when using a cloth or collision object
that has only one face.  Doing so will normally result in a crash.  If
you were testing with objects like that, try subdividing once or more on
your objects and see if that helps the situations.

Assuming the crashes are 64 bit related, can you send me some stack traces
from gdb ?

I'm glad you thought it was fairly simple from a users point of view.
Genscher and I have been concerned about end users reactions to the
megalithic cloth modifier panel.  We have some ideas on how we might
simplify it, but have been working more on finishing the determination
of what parameters are really necessary to expose to the end user than
how that happens exactly and where in the blender UI.

Since LetterRip says you're the UI man, Genscher and I would be very
interested to hear your thoughts on where the cloth modifier should
be exposed to the user, i.e. as we do now or on the effects panel
like softbody and fluid, and how we might improve the UI.  All when
you have time of course.

Thanks for the input.

Todd Koeckeritz, zaz at visi.com

Surfin' the Web with an ActiveX enabled browser is kindof like having
to worry about getting shot everytime you knock on a door.