[Bf-committers] BlenderCE serious bugs

Salvatore Russo salvatore.russo at laposte.net
Tue Apr 4 15:47:42 CEST 2006

Hallo,

I posted a new version of BlenderCE few days ago but with two major bugs that I track for days/weeks without success :=(

I compiled BlenderCE in a debug mode for my PocketPC but also for my computer.

Ok, these are two bugs :=)  (maybe they have the same cause):

The first one:
If I enter in vertex paint mode on my computer, there are NO problem. On my PocketPC, it makes an hard crash with hard reset. Making it impossible to debug. As soon as I enter in this mode, the pocketpc finish to live!

The second one:
When I load an image in BlenderCE for my computer, there are NO problem, everything is running fine... the image browser is ok, ... image loading in texture is ok... loading background images has no problem...But on my PocketPC, all these operation crash! The debugger says the classic “data misalignment” or “access violation”. But it stops on the asm code so the error is related to the OpenGL library (the only code without debug information). I also have sometime another error in gsqueue.c but I will not charge this post with the call stack for the moment.

I investigated lot of directions: of course, I checked my pointers to be sure that there are not doing something wrong, I checked again my drawpixel function (same approach as gldrawpixeltex in glutil.c), I replace my memory allocation with MEM_malloc, I try to use drawpixel function as an empty function
 but these bugs are still here! And the drawpixel is used for rendering without problem.

These bugs occur only on my pocketpc
 not on my computer
 so now it make me thinks that it is related to hardware and memory management.

I read an article pointing that a pocketpc can have trouble with the virtual memory, stack and heap size (to be honnest, I have poor knowledge on that!):
http://blogs.msdn.com/kitlfirst/default.aspx

My BlenderCE is compiled with the following default stack settings:
Reserve : 0x10000 (64K when on a computer, it is usually 1MB!)
Commit: 0x1000 (4k)

Another information (maybe unrelated) is that Python.dll is 1.3MB for my pocketpc
 what is big
 I try to compil BlenderCE without Python but still crashed on the image browser.

Sorry for this long post and for these unorganized presentation of the problems: I just want to be sure to give you all my available information.

Does someone have any idea about the best way to track these bugs? Or give me some information about what can crash Blender in a pocketpc memory conditions especially in the image loading process and the vertex paint mode? Or some information about the limitations in the stack size.

If you need more information, I can provided them to you. I also have a map of the “virtual memory region” related to BlenderCE with the “dump of the heaps” (I generated it just before a crach with:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326164

Thanks a lot for your help,
Salvatore

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34 €/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34€/mn)