[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src header_view3d.c space.c

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Apr 3 00:59:53 CEST 2006

On 03/04/2006, at 01:54 AM, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Campbell Barton wrote:
>>  Added to select group-
>>  This removes the need for the "Select Type" menu (please review
>> Broken)
>
> There is also no need for the "Select by Layer" menu, which can be
> done more
> interactively and easily (and flexibly :) with the SHIFT-G menu.

On the contrary, I'd like to see the Select by Layer/Type options
expanded to include options like replacing/adding/subtracting to
selections too. There are multiple ways to do similar things in all
aspects of Blender and there is a need for both of these methods.

Selection by criteria is different to selection based on
relationship. Especially on very complex scenes where it can be hard
to select what you want, it's quite useful to have tools that just do
things, and assume the user knows what he's doing. Having selection
tools that force you to have not only a selection, but an *active
object* beforehand are not more flexible at all, it forces you do do
mundane tasks like trying to activate certain objects before actually
getting what you want done (eg. 'parent all lamps to an already
selected and active empty')

Matt