[Bf-committers] libSDL problem on OS X 10.4.2

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Wed Sep 28 18:52:38 CEST 2005

Le 26 sept. 05 à 21:54, Matthew H. Plough a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to compile Blender on Mac OS X 10.4.2, and I'm
> able to get all the way to the final link stage.  At this stage,
> however, the link fails, like so:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> SND_OpenALDevice::SND_OpenALDevice()
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [/Users/mplough/devel/bfblender/blender/obj/
> darwin-8.2.1-powerpc/bin/blender] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Note that darwin-8.2.1-powerpc is symlinked to darwin-6.1-powerpc.
>
> This is after running:
>
> $ for FN in `find ./ -name 'lib*.a'`
> > do
> > ranlib $FN
> > done
>
> in the lib/ directory.  All library files submit correctly to this
> ranlib treatment, except libSDL.a.
>
> This file gives the following errror:
> $ ranlib libSDL.a
> ranlib: file: libSDL.a(SDL_audiodev.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libSDL.a(SDL_getenv.o) has no symbols

there is in fact 2 distinct problems :

GCC changes from 3.3 to 3.4 means that a clean compile is needed.
10.4 introduced a new libc++ which need some stubs libs for  make
compile and not scons, + ranlib operations have changed

I've not yet get clean compile with gcc 3.4, and wont likely do it
now, as a gcc 3.4 compile would likely not run on 10.3 (due to the
missing stubs)

and changes to C++ ABI (again)

the easiest solution is to use gcc-select to set compiler to 3.3