[Bf-committers] opengl rendering

antont at kyperjokki.fi antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Sep 28 17:46:52 CEST 2005

Greetings.

As some of you may have seen from the Orange blog, it is animatic time in
here. We are rendering it with opengl, 'cause it's just a quick thing for
adjusting timing, and the objects don't yet have material settings etc.
anyhow.

There is the annoyance that there is no opengl rendering engine in the scene
buttons, just the viewport-dependent opengl-to-image/videofile functionality
in the 3d view. The problem with that is having to set the viewport manually
to match the desired resolution etc. That is certainly doable, but we figured
that for someone who knows opengl / ghost it's simple to add the support for
actual rendering. It probably needs to create a new opengl context (with
ghost?) and then .. something.

As became evident, I'm not too familiar with that area, and it's not a
showstopper for us, so i won't be doing it (soon) .. but if someone catches
the ball, great! Animatics can be as complex as a a final film in terms of
sequencing, and are for working with the timing, so having (near) real-time
rendering (to videos that can be shown to producers etc) of them would be
useful.

~Toni