[Bf-committers] meeting minutes sep25: pre-release ahoy!

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:27:57 CEST 2005

[QUOTE] - integration of python-implemented tools to normal UI needs
discussion[/QUOTE]

On the python list the night before the meeting I had asked

[QUOTE]How feasible would it be to add blender scripts as hardcoded
shortcuts/menu items as if they were a core tool?

I realize that eventually we might have an event code refactor that
would allow this easily, but is there some interim solution that could
be done?[/QUOTE]

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-September/011865.html

There were three responses, Cam suggested the possibility of using
Matt Ebbs customizable toolbar or alternatively allow python to
populate menus that are already existing.

and Willian (one of the python core developers/module maintainers) stated

[QUOTE]There's a simple way we might use, before an events redesign / recoding.
We can choose a key and let users put favorite scripts in a menu there,
for faster access. It's trivial to write a script to let users pick
their favorite registered scripts and define the order they should
appear in the menu. Once there, two key presses would be enough to call
the script -- the hotkey and the number of the entry. And the info for
this menu would be saved along with other registered scripts, no problem.

Only issue is finding an available and good (well placed) hotkey. For
that we can even use an existing one, "p", for example. If user chose to
put scripts there, a menu appears with the default option ("run game" in
this case, if I'm not crazy) and the scripts. Otherwise the key just
works as before, directly.
[/QUOTE]

Are any of these three possibilities acceptable solutions?

LetterRip