[Bf-committers] Join Screens OGL Bug

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Fri Sep 23 00:24:44 CEST 2005

Hi Jiri this is a massive improvement and weather its *the best* way of
doing it or not, can be discussed - but a great improvement,
something that made the "Blender is easy to use" argument, a bit shaky
when even experienced users had to tweak the mouse a few pixels to
remove the right subdivision and sometimes got it wrong.

Also- Oops locations are stored per window, and if you have a complex
manually positioned oops hierarchy, then loosing it in a mistaken join
will loose you data with no undo since its a window action.

I don't have a problem with the arrow, at first I had to think twice
about what to do, first time, but it was quite obvious to me.
My initial reaction was, "Wow, Blender is making my UI action obvious"

As for Matt's suggestion of blacking out all windows, it seems okay- if
you dont like the arrow, personally Im not fussed.

- As for a totaly different solution, resizing a boarder into another
could be a good way to join workspaces. It could be done in a way that
the boarder snaps down to the lower boarder so the user sees that it
merges as opposed to making the workspace really small, other visual
hints could be added.
* This would be a single click (mabe with join confirmation if we want
to be parranoid), and so accidental mouse clickdrags  dont loose you
windows.
* Users would be aware of the workspace they were making bigger, from
understanding how resize works.
* Fits basic notion that "This window is annoying me, Ill make it small
so it goes away"
* Matches functionality of MS/Open Office - Excel/Word (people will
probably call it intuitive), I have seen other apps that have a resizing
split that you get rid of by resizing to 0.

- But somebody needs to code it, and Jiri is probably a busy man, so I'm
happy with whats there for now.

Cam