[Bf-committers] Freetype issues

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Sep 12 16:06:20 CEST 2005

I've recently enabled INTERNATIONAL in instinctive-blender just for the
fun of it, and noticed some potentially serious issue:

When loading .blends, especially ones dealing with lots of tightly aligned
text, I noticed that Freetype renders Postscript Type1 fonts (which I
use exclusively) very differently from Blender's internal postscript
interpreter.
Even worse, some of the files randomly crashes in FT_* stuff or
characters were simply missing or corrupted (while they rendered fine
all the years with the internal interpreter).

I also assume that between Freetype versions, rendering of characters
to curves will differ, too.

This is potentially bad, as the same .blend file can look different on
different systems.

This - in my opinion - calls for including the relevant parts of
Freetype in the blender source tree and linking statically to them.