[Bf-committers] Re: New supported platform

Yomgui yomgui1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:43:58 CEST 2005

Hi Ton,

> I'm always pleased hear results of new Blender ports. Afaik, MorphOS
> runs on the Amiga family of hardware? Info on morphos.org is a bit
> confusing, does it run on any PPC computer?

I'm pleased to read your answer.
Morphos.org is a very old site, but here for historic.
Check these urls:

Genesi (owner of Pegasos with bPlan): http://www.pegasosppc.com/
OpenGL support: http://3d.morphos-team.net/

For MorphOS himself, the new web site is WIP (http://www.morphos-team.net/).
But you could check some un-officials web sites:

Wiki:
http://www.phinixi.com/tiki-index.php?page=MorphOS%20FAQs (english FAQ)
http://wikipeg.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=PagePrincipale (french)

most populars forum:
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/news/ (english)
http://www.amigaimpact.org/ (french)

About your questions: MorphOS is a re-write of AmigaOS libraries to
support new PPC architectures as Pegasos (about pegasos you can search
news on IBM and Freescale sweb sites, where Genesi/Pegasos are
referenced.)

As it written here http://www.pegasosppc.com/software.php a pegasos
board supports many OS (as Linux PPC and MorphOS). And it's possible
to launch MacOS (with the MacOnLinux emulator).

In a second time, MorphOS's got a JustInTime motorola 68k interpreter.
So, MorphOS keeps a compatibilities with old AmigaOS programs.
But all new programs use the new SDK and are fully PPC compliant.

In a near futur, MorphOS will support Altivec core too.

> How's the file paths in MorphOS constructed then?

For the moment like AmigaOS paths, these are the rules:
- Paths separator: ':'
- Directory/files separator: '/'
- Device/path separator: ':'
- parent: a '/' after another one
- current dir: nothing

Some examples (native => posix)
- relatif path: 'toto/titi//tutu'  => './toto/titi/../tutu'
- absolute path: 'hd2:tutu/toto// => '/hd2/tutu/toto/..'
(the second example it's not clear with posix, because there aren't a
same device concept in posix, but we 've invented a rule for that)

Check the diff of blenlib (.gz joined file). ('diff -wNaur blender_old blender')

Path pb it's not the last one, I've fixed many others possible bugs
(some of one cause an unneeded exit() of blender, and the lost of current work,
without the need! render module has some holes ;-))

> Looking at the screenshots at your site; there's an endianess issue
> with the colors of the Ipo (animation) curves. Also the header
> 'release' color seems to have an endianess flip.
> Endianness is not #ifdeffed in Blender, but there might be exceptions
> in the code for it. As a reference, heck for #ifdef __sgi for example.
> And, did you notice the support for amiga iff files that's still
> hanging out in the imbuf code? :)

Yes, but the snapshots are old and not relevent about the current stat
of my port.
It works better now ;-)
I'll put some new correct snapshots soon.

I the hope to  clean and fix Blender, to have the best solution in CGI
tools ;-),
Guillaume R.