[Bf-committers] Re: Collada

Ignacio Castaño castanyo at yahoo.es
Fri Sep 9 06:48:56 CEST 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:53 am, Tom M wrote:
> Oops I had somehow overlooked this part of Remis comment,
>
> [QUOTE]
> I wrote the Blender plugin as an exercise to do some testing of the
> software. Most of it is in python, but it relies on a prototype
> COLLADA DOM implementation that is not for public release. It does
> support almost everything , but only import.
> [/QUOTE]

Now that COLLADA is part of the Khronos group, the prototype implementation
will probably be released soon.

The DOM is written in C++ and I don't know how easy it would be to interface
it with the COLLADA DOM. In any case, python has good xml support, so it
should be easy to write a importer/exporter.

Given the amount of DCC apps supporting COLLADA and the involvement of the
different vendors in the COLLADA group, I think it would be really nice to
have COLLADA support in blender too.

I'm in particular working on a mesh processing library and although it should
be fairly easy to add exporters to other formats, it expect COLLADA to be the
main one.

--
Ignacio Castaño
castanyo at yahoo.es