[Bf-committers] TIFF support - submitted patch #2995

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Sep 8 07:15:55 CEST 2005

Hi Everyone,

OK - the new patch is in.  I've created a Wiki page to describe the
dynamic loading mechanism:
    http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/TIFF

I can see a new source of contention here in the python script I've
written (gen_dynlibtiff.py).  This script semi-automatically creates the
C file that does the dynamic loading as well as a header file.  It
should only need to be run if:
    1. A programmer wants to add more functions to the dynamic API from
normal libtiff.
    2. The libtiff API changes.
Where does this script belong?  Should it be part of the build-process
or should it be kept aside and only run by a programmer specifically
working on libtiff stuff?  I'd vote for the latter, but if we're going
to be trying to do more dynamic loading of stuff in future then perhaps
it belongs in the build process.

(Maybe there's a better, generic tool for doing this kind of thing?  If
not, then maybe we should write one?! :-)

Comments welcome again (round two! :-).

Jonathan Merritt.

PS - I found I couldn't delete the earlier files I'd submitted to the
patch tracker ("permission denied", despite being logged in the same as
when I submitted them).  Hopefully this does't cause too much confusion.