[Bf-committers] Blender-Girona report

Jordi Rovira caminant at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 23:25:57 CEST 2005

Hi,

For the last three months i've been working in an alternative game engine
integrated in blender. I've been mainly reporting into the forums at:

http://blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6409 (see the last page for the
last info and images)

The main idea came while designing the data asset pipeline for a game i
working in (in my company). I thought that it would be useful that those
diagrams could be implemented directly as diagrams: every game has different
data requirements and a different data conversion pipeline. I started
working on this and extended the concept to the graphic pipeline, which is
also different for each game.
The current "thing" is not exactly a game engine, but a kind of framework to
define game engines. you can use diagrams for the data converion process,
for the rendering and also for the logic. After a little meditation, I don
think this should replace the current engine in blender. As it is going to
be harder for the users to define it. Or maybe "girona"(the codename for my
engine) should come with a set of standard pipelines to be used...
Another good point is extensibility and modularization of this approach.
Anyway, i'll expose all this stuff in detail in the blender conference on
october and will like to discuss about it a little. The implementation is
very basic, and not really usable yet. Ton told me to report in this list so
here you are. Any comments welcome!

(bandoler)