[Bf-committers] TIFF support - submitted patch #2995

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Sep 6 12:45:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

> Unfortunately, it will grow the distributed binary by about 400KB.
> I'll start work on dynamic linking at runtime... :-)

Hrms... difficult topic. It resembles a little bit the ffmpg
integration we want to do now. This also conflicts a bit with the QT
support on windows/osx.
Choices could be;

- just add ffmpg + libtiff for all platforms (find a way how this can
work with QT)
- add ffmpg + libtiff for all platforms, remove QT? This because our
aim really should be to have a singular functional release for all
platforms
- only add ffmpg + libtiff for the linux/freebsd/sun/sgi releases

> Abso-smurfly! :-)  The patch doesn't support this yet, but libtiff
> itself does.  TIFF has many possibilities beyond a plain image file.
> Some (maybe all?) cross over into the kinds of things that OpenEXR was
> designed to handle.  An example is the use of TIFF to store
> "arbitrary" variables.  These could include:
>    - depth (z-buffer)
>    - surface normals
>    - uv coordinates
>    - etc...
> These can be stored as floating point quantities in TIFF files.  They
> can be stored as separate files, or as additional images alongside the
> RGBA output within a single TIFF file.  Aqsis already supports this
> kind of thing, so I have plenty of example code to look at.

Coolness, certainly something we can use for Orange as well! :)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org