[Bf-committers] IRC meeting minutes, sept 4

D.J. Capelis blender at djc.people.sgalliance.com
Mon Sep 5 03:34:37 CEST 2005

My apologies for missing this morning's meeting, it totally slipped my
and I didn't manage to wake up until it had been over for 7 hours.

I spent the last few hours going through the package lists for the past
few versions for most of the major Linux distributions and it's clear
that even though we won't be releasing for at least a month it would be
terribly unwise to only support 2.4 on Linux.

The systems ready to support 2.4 are:
Arch Linux
FC 4
Gentoo testing
Mandrivia 10.2
Slackware current, 10.1
SUSE 10.0 (in beta), 9.3
Ubuntu breezy, hoary

While the following systems are all still on 2.3:
CentOS 4
Debian stable, testing, experimental
FC 3, 2
Gentoo stable
Linspire
Mandrivia 10.1, 10.0, 9.2
RHEL 4
Slackware 10.0, 9.1
SUSE 9.2, 9.1, 9.0
Ubuntu warty

In addition, the following systems are now completely unsupported in
terms of python:
CentOS 3 and lower
Debian oldstable
FC 1
Mandrivia 9.1, 9.0
RHEL 3 and lower
RedHat (pre-fedora) any version
Slackware 9.0 or lower

While we'd all love to see python 2.4 on all distributions, it's not
there yet.  So I think the best plan is to produce the following builds
for linux:
*blender2.40-glibc2.3.2-p2.4-accel
*blender2.40-glibc2.3.2-p2.4
*blender2.40-glibc2.2.5-p2.3-accel
*blender2.40-glibc2.2.5-p2.3

Instead of calling the packages dynamic/static I think it's probably
easier for the users if we just call dynamic accel instead.  (As it's
all about graphics acceleration anyways.)  The move to glibc 2.3.2 for
all the python 2.4 builds is a no-brainer, the attached text file has
the list of distributions and which glibc/python versions each supports
and all the distros supporting python 2.4 have moved to glibc 2.3.2 or
higher.

One hopes that we'll be able to eventually drop the 2.3 packages but it
will be awhile, until then I'm going to go ahead and build the chroot
needed for the new build environment and I'll be testing it against the
existing chroot to try and compile as many libraries in statically as
possible.

Also attached is a mockup for the downloads page that directs the users
to go ahead and download the appropriate build for their system.  With 6
different Linux builds we're going to need a different way of showing
them on the download page, so this seems like it might be a good way of
doing it.

As usual, all comments and feedback welcomed.
~D.J.

P.S. I also checked the Linux build system and that's seems to be
working pretty well.  Bullet however does not, if Erwin wants this
enabled then it would be nice if I could compile it...  (I guess I'm a
bit picky, aren't I?)