[Bf-committers] SDL versus OpenAL

Carsten Wartmann Carsten.Wartmann at imago-viva.de
Mon Oct 31 13:51:38 CET 2005

Alexander Ewering wrote:

>  - Support for Ogg Vorbis files

A must! Even in times we all (?) have high bandwith internet...

>  - No doppler effect (was this supported in openal?)

Nice for simulations.

>  - No changing of pitch *during* the playing of a sound (was
>    this supported in openal?)

Thats a big disadvantage for games etc. I think. Changing Pitch is nice
for engine sounds etc.

> Sound in the sequencer and game engine are still a totally different
> story. Game engine sound is asynchronous (event sounds), Animation system
> sound is synchronous, so they still cannot live next to each other. But
> I don't consider that a problem because a project that uses the sequencer
> will never use the game engine - and vice versa. I guess I don't need
> to explain :)

Well, actually I did use both while animation, so if it is not
interfering while animating for the GE I am fine with that.

Regards,
Carsten